Wednesday, September 29, 2010

How It All Began

On January 9, 2007, our world tilted off its axis.  I received an alarming call from my husband while I was at work.  He was agitated, confused, and frightened.  He had temporarily lost the use of his left side, his vision became blurred, and he lost consciousness for a short time.  Despite my efforts to have him get his co-workers to call an ambulance, he refused.  I hopped in the car and made the 30 minute drive in record time convinced he'd had a stroke.  He was able to walk out of work and get in the car.  He seemed stressed, but otherwise fine.  Of course, once I had him in my clutches, he was going to the hospital.  They put him through a million tests, and the entire time I was still convinced he'd had a stroke--bad, but not impossible to deal with.  It wasn't until early the next day that they lowered the boom on us.  It hadn't been a stroke.  He'd had a seizure, and it was caused by a mass in his brain.  Most likely cancer.  We needed to see a neuro-surgeon immediately.  That day our world tilted off its axis and has never returned to its correct orbit again.

Even though this blog is about my journey as newly created single spouse, I chose to share this story to give everyone, hopefully anyone, reading this some background about how I got where I am today.  Sitting in my living room, typing away on a newly created blog on a beautiful September day, and wondering about where my life is going to take me from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment